Tuesday, December 09, 2008

BRANDY WEEK: U DON'T KNOW ME (REMIX)




As I mentioned in my previous post, so much about this record reminds me of the great Aaliyah/Timbaland work from the same time period. From the slick time-freezing video to the sparse staccato stab-style production to the understated sweet vocals. Flawless.

As I've always found with Darkchild, he's never been particularly inventive stylistically, but he manages to catch on to whatever sound is hot and execute it better than everyone else. "U Don't Know Me ..." was a classic example of that, as was J.Lo's "Love Don't Cost A Thing" and DC's "Say My Name", after Kevin 'She'kspere' Briggs introduced his sound.

The "U Don't Know Me ..." Darkchild Remix featuring Da Brat and Shaunta was released in 1999 by Atlantic on U Don't Know Me... Like U Used To - The Remix EP. The EP also featured a remix by DJ Premier and the "Top Of The World" remix with Fat Joe & Big Pun, both of which I will post over the next few days.

Brandy Feat Da Brat & Shaunta - U Don't Know Me (Like U Used To) (Darkchild Mix)


No comments: