Tuesday, August 18, 2009

CALVIN HARRIS - READY FOR THE WEEKEND


Up until Calvin Harris released "I'm Not Alone", I found it almost difficult to enjoy any of his music - The singles from his 2007 album I Created Disco came off somewhat gimmicky, and his production for other artists seemed to lack a certain polish. See Kylie's "Heartbeat Rock" from her X album. While Dizzee's "Dance Wiv Me" was definitely just not my cup of tea.

Come 2009, it seems like Harris can do no wrong. From his incredible remixes of Passion Pits "The Reeling" and Katy Perry's "Waking Up In Vegas" to one of the most surprisingly dope singles of the year thus far in "I'm Not Alone".

To me, Ready For The Weekend perfectly captures the current sound of electro/dance music while maintaining classic pop song structure. Yet, the songs always find space to continually transform into something more intense as the 3-4 minutes go by.

The album definitely isn't flawless, but I've listened start-to-finish twice in a row and I'm struggling to pick just one favourite song.

As always, I'll leave you with my current selections from the album:



Stars Come Out



You Used To Hold Me



Flashback

Ready For The Weekend is out now.

No comments: